Take your skills to the next level with our Web Development Master Class
We all know the interwebs is an ever changing beast of new technologies, frameworks and practices.
Web designers, and developers alike are required, more so than ever before, to LEARN new skills and tools, to stay up to date with this changing landscape.
Friends of Design – Academy of Digital Arts has created a 7 week crash course specifically for industry professionals, providing in-depth information about the latest technology changes and web design trends.
From building the most advanced HTML5 compatible emails to stun your subscribers all the way through to App Development using trusted frameworks and platforms like Meteor.js and Node.js.
We will take you even deeper into the realm of VR and Augmented reality, allowing you as a professional to add a whole new dimension to your web projects!
Students should have a working knowledge and understanding of the following, however we will get you up to speed a fast as possible if you feel you wont be able to handle it. Note that this course is targeted at individuals who already have some substantial experience in front end languages like HTML and CSS:
- Good knowledge of HTML5 & CSS3
- Basic knowledge of PHP
- Basic knowledge of 3D modelling software is an advantage but not required
- Basic knowledge of working with Terminal or Command code is an advantage but not required
By the end of the course students will have usable knowledge of the following:
- Unbreakable HTML5 & CSS3 for Emails
- AJAX Dynamic Data & Page Loading
- Meteor.js Basics to web apps with JS
- Kirby CMS Flatfile PHP Content Management System
- Virtual Reality for Web Meet Aframe
- Augmented Reality for Web
Duration: 7 Weeks
- 02 May – 13 June
- 5:30pm – 8:30pm, Mondays and Tuesdays
1. Unbreakable HTML5 & CSS3 for Emails
- How email apps render HTML & CSS
- The Old vs The New & Compatibility with Email Applications
- Key HTML5 & CSS3 tags and rules
- Building an Dynamic Email
- Caveats and shortfalls
Build a promotional email using HTML5 & CSS3 that will use advanced tags to create a dynamic information experience for an Email client like thunderbird or outlook.
2. AJAX Dynamic Data & Page Loading
- What is AJAX?
- When is it best to use AJAX?
- Using AJAX to load data from a database.
- Dynamic page loading with AJAX
- Using AJAX in jQuery
- Build a simple blog site that loads articles dynamically
- Build a user profile page that live updates information with AJAX
3. Meteor.js Basics to webapps with JS (Week 3 & 4)
- What is Meteor?
- Connected-client and Reactivity introduction.
- Data Collections, Publications and Methods.
- View Routing, Templating and Helpers.
- Build a template which uses helpers which subscribes to a reactive Meteor collection.
- Make live changes to some centralised data and watch the view update immediately across the classroom.
4. Kirby CMS Flatfile PHP Content Management System
- Introduction to Kirby CMS
- Installing Kirby CMS & Kirby CMS Admin
- Using Kirby CMS Admin
- Editing Kirby Templates/Themes
- Install Kirby CMS & Admin
- Take existing Kirby Theme and modify it to match a predesigned website design
5.Virtual Reality for Web - Meet Aframe
- Introduction to Aframe
- Aframe Syntax and Entity Component System Pattern
- Build a starter scene
- Advanced ideas to research
- Installing Aframe on a website.
- Building the basic starter scene with Aframe to test on mobile phone.
6. Augmented Reality for Web
- Introduction to Augmented Reality
- Using ThreeX.webar extension with Three.js
- Setting up the scene
- Adding the 3D components to the scene
- Testing with the marker & Web camera
- Getting the Demo scene working, and make changes to it.
- Build and test a custom AR scene.
Can full time FOD students join?
Yes of course! Any full-time Web, Print or Game student can join course at a discounted rate.
When do the courses run?
They run twice week on Mondays and Tuesdays from 5:30pm - 8:30pm.
What do we need to bring to the course?
Just yourself, a notebook and pen. We provide the machines and the software.
Is there safe access & parking available?
Yes, you receive an electronic access tag upon enrolment & parking can be found in Bree Street.
Who are your trainers?
All trainers are freelancers in their industries, so bring this unbeatable experience into the classroom straight from the workplace. They are passionate about what they do and always ready to help.
Are there any projects and/or tests?
Nope, this is a totally exam and test free zone! You will come out the end of every module with the code that you wrote together with the lecturer in class so you can experiment and work on it at home
What do we receive at the end of the course?
A high 5, some new skills, and a great community of friends an peers to bounce ideas off of.
COST P/P INCL VAT
- R6, 990.00