Learn to create responsive, device agnostic websites with the latest HTML & CSS techniques
Welcome to the world wide web! The internet has become ubiquitous in our daily lives, transcending desktops and extending connectivity to smartphones, tablets, cars, household appliances and other electronics. Accordingly, conventional web design no longer meets the requirements of an increasingly connected society that have demands for responsive flexibility and a great user experience.
In this 5 week course, learners will learn the principles and practice of becoming a modern web developer by taking a deviceagnostic approach to web design in order to compete across multiple platforms (i.e. desktops, smartphones, tablets and phablets).
Starting from the very basics, learners will be introduced to the latest versions of HTML and CSS the two core frontend languages of the web in order to effectively structure information and bring their own visual web designs to life.
Students should have working knowledge and understanding of the following:
- Basic Computer Skills for PC/Mac.
- Good to have: UX/UI Course or similar experience.
By the end of the course students will have usable knowledge of the following:
- Understand the underlying technologies and concepts behind frontend web development.
- Understand the ideas behind responsive web design and device agnostic design.
- Understand and code HTML in conjunction with CSS.
- Correctly use HTML5 semantic tags and extended functionality.
- Be able to build a custom CSS grid framework.
- Be able to implement advanced CSS techniques (CSS3) such as animations and transitions.
- Be equipped to code a custom HTML/CSS responsive web page design for personal or professional use, using clean and semantically correct code.
- Gain a basic understanding of scripting and thirdparty extensions.
- Understand web page frameworks such as Twitter Bootsrap.
- Have an understanding of hosting and maintaining a website.
Pricing also available for customised, on-site and group training.
Duration: 6 weeks
- 13 February – 22 March 2017
- 29 May – 05 July 2017
- 11 September – 18 October 2017
17h30 – 20h30 Mon, Tues & Wed*
* Any class falling on a public holiday will be carried over to be held the next available Thursday evening (to be arranged between the lecturer and class).
Introduction to HTML language and syntax
Semantic markup and HTML5 semantic tags
Extending functionality with HTML5
Introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
Building a web page layout
Advanced CSS techniques (CSS3+)
CSS animations and transitions
Responsive web page design (RWD)
Mobilefirst web design
Creating slideshows and galleries
Web design frameworks
Basic Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
Hosting and site management
What is the difference between your Part Time and your Full Time courses?
The Part Time courses are Modular Based, and run for 4-5 weeks each, with one project per module. The Full Time courses are made up of various modules that run for 3 – 8 weeks each with more than one project per module.
How do I know which one to choose?
The Full Time courses are geared towards students who wish to commit to a much longer and more involved course, with an aim to get a Higher Certificate and a Portfolio. The Part Time courses are excellent for those who wish to add new skills to their existing skills, i.e. a Print Designer who wants to learn Web Design skills. The Part Time courses are also often chosen by those who wish to prepare to do longer courses, or individuals whose companies need them to learn skills to apply within the workplace immediately.
Are there any discounts offered?
Yes! If you book all 3 courses offered on the Print Design Courses (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), you get a fantastic discount on the modules, booked consecutively.
When do the courses run?
They run in the evenings, Mondays, Tuesday & Wednesdays from 17h30 – 20h30.
Does the module run more than once in the year?
Yes, each module runs every 3 months.
What do we need to bring to the course?
Just yourself, a notebook and pen. We provide the machines and the software. You will also receive a 2GB Flashstick, which you can keep after the completion of the course.
Is there safe access & parking available?
Yes, you receive an electronic access tag upon enrolment & parking can be found in Bree Street.
Who are your trainers?
All trainers are freelancers in their industries, so bring this unbeatable experience into the classroom straight from the workplace. They are passionate about what they do and always ready to help.
Are there any projects and / or tests?
Yes, each module has a project that is worked on continuously to test your skills. No formal tests or exams are held.
What do we receive at the end of the course?
You will receive an attendance certificate showing the Apple & Adobe logo as well as your details and the details of the course you completed.
COST P/P INCL VAT
- R7, 900.00
"Walt has been a fantastic lecturer who has shown a lot of patiences and understanding towards his students."
"Great pace and clarity of teaching. "
"Walt is helpful and understands quickly what an individual coding problem is"