The Typography Workshop will build upon the basics of creating typography for design, as well as assist beginners in understanding typography better. While the basics of Type Anatomy will be touched on and reviewed, the true purpose is to allow participants to explore a more usable interpretation of hand-rendered type, as well as work through the process of taking a hand-crafted or uniquely conceptualised font into digital font creation. Once completed, they will be able to use this font as they would any other, in the usual design software.
Students should have working knowledge and understanding of the following:
- Adobe Illustrator skills are a necessity.
- Understanding of type anatomy is an advantage.
- Sketch / Scrap Paper
- A3 Paper (Recommended: 200gsm)
- Pencils, eraser, ruler
- Soft bristle, tapered brush
- Hard bristle, square brush
- Soft aluminium can, chopsticks / 5mm dowels, masking / cellotape
- Black Ink (Recommended: Daler FW. Acrylic Artists Ink)
- Variety of brushes (hard and soft bristle)
- Additional ink colours
Upon the completion of the course the students will be able to:
- Understand the greater variety of tools that can be used within the hand-crafted type platform.
- Create brush letterforms.
- Create knife pen letterforms.
- Create and digitise typefaces.